Monday, October 26, 2009

Week 9, here we come!

It was another week full of the glory of God, and I regret that I am only writing one blog a week. Free time here has become somewhat limited and when I do have time, I try to talk to my family!

We are at a point of convergence in our semester, where Brevard College and Costa Rica collide... time to sign up for Spring semester classes and figure out housing etc... Right now there are fall concerts at school, the fall school musical and the brilliant changing of seasons as we near the cool month of November, and the beautiful time of year where we come together with our families for a meal of Thanksgiving... my FAVORITE time of year. It seems to me that many people love autumn, but why? I think there is something in all of us that acknowledges the beauty of the world as the air gets cooler, we enjoy friday night football, hikes and hot chocolate, and the fact that we believe in a creative God, who displays His creativity in a completely different way through the changing of the seasons.

I think we love fall because we have just finished our hot and humid summers, and are looking forward to Christmas, but not there yet. It is indeed beautiful and rather inspiring.

However, let me explain to you what Costa Rica is like this time of year.

The months that are considered our "summer" in America, are their "winter" or "rainy season" months here in Costa Rica. It is much like a day in June, where the air is warm all day and slightly humid, and then in the afternoon we enjoy a nice downpour that cleanses everything and leaves the air cooler and more refreshing. I wake up to sunshine almost every single day, and enjoy breakfast with my Costa Rican grandparents and the 1 year old grandson, and I don't even have American grandparents. It's a true blessing. I walk to school in the morning heat, just warm enough to be comfortable in a t-shirt and jeans... and then watch as the day unfolds itself- more rays of sun and warmer air, perfect for swimming or playing outside. And it's like this everyday. Come 1 pm though, the rain appears and takes over everything, and depending on the day, it might rain until we go to bed and all night, or clear up just in time for a breathtaking sunset that we see right as we're walking home in the afternoon.

I have all but forgotten about winter clothes and Friday night football, but instead my head is full of the newest Spanish I learned today and the homework I have to do tomorrow... while playing with all the kids in the house and listening to the heated latino conversations going on in the living room.

And I realize, as I seem to always be remembering or realizing something, that no matter where you are or what time of year it is, God is working, He is alive, His Spirit is true and present and the life-changing power of the Gospel continues to inspire hearts.

Yesterday we went to a "First Communion" for one of the cousins in the family, and I was reminded of what it means to have a true relationship with Christ- one that is not based in tradition and the things we "have to do" but rather built and established in faith and love. God has burdened my heart for the children of this country, that they would have a different path than the generations before them, and grow to be men and women of righteousness and truth. This culture (as with many cultures) wants to teach them otherwise, but their potential is astounding. Children are the future of our world.

Just something that is on my heart.

Thank you for your prayers for this country and for reading. God be praised for His faithfulness and righteousness, and may He be with each one of you today in Spirit and in Truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment